Sunday, February 6, 2011

What a Great Afternoon!

Maybe it's the prayers to Mother Theresa, whose relic the nuns gave mom at church this morning. Maybe it's the prayers to St. Peregrine, the patron saint of cancer. Maybe it's the medicine. Maybe it's the fact that she's getting food again. Whatever it is, Abby had an amazing afternoon.

It started with Abby eating almost an entire serving of macaroni and cheese. Then, when we asked her if she wanted to take a walk, she said yes. She wanted to go through the double doors to leave the Hem/Onc ward, so we told her she had to put her mask on to leave. After shaking her head no a few times, she finally complied, which was a first. We called Leonard's mom to see if Alexis was still here and she was, so we headed downstairs. As soon as Abby saw Alexis, she started pointing and waving as fast as she could. Once we let her down, she tried running over to her. The first thing she did was rip off her mask so she could give her hugs and kisses. After one kiss, we made her put the mask back on and she never tried to take it off again. Then came more hugs and kisses through the mask. Then Abby started doing the chicken dance for Alexis! I was crying because this is the first time in a week and a half that we actually got a glimpse of our Abby. I felt so relieved. Even if it's just one day, it's a start and I know my Abby is still in there.

After Alexis left, she wanted to walk for awhile, which was a good sign. When we got up to the floor, she spotted the cozy coupe and wanted to play! She climbed right in and Leonard and I took turns pushing her and her IV pole around. It was so wonderful to see her playing and having fun again.

19 comments:

Stephanie Eberwein said...

Katie and Leonard,
I am so glad to hear all the good news. I am also so happy for Abby to be able to see Alexis and have excitement again. Thanks for all the updates and remember to just keep believing and never give up hope. Abby is a tough little girl and I know she will pull through it all. Everyone at church sends their love and prayers.And we all can't wait to see Abby's smiling face again. If you need anything never hesitate to ask me, I will always help you in anyway that I can. Remembering you all in my thoughts and prayers always, Stephanie

Mrs. Phelps said...

This is wonderful!! So glad to see she is acting like herself!

Fr. Lawrence said...

This is Father Lawrence. I just returned from India and heard about Abby. I want you to know that she is in my prayers. May our Loving Father be with her as she goes through treatment and recovery. May Our Blessed Mother be with her to comfort and make her cheerful. My thoughts and prayers awre with you Katie, Leonard and all your family.

Amy said...

This post made my heart smile <3

Jillian said...

This brought happy tears to my eyes. I'm so happy she is acting like herself again!!!

K said...

Another post that brought tears to my eyes, but this time it's happy tears. I am so happy that you all had such a wonderful day. I hope it is the beginning of many great days.

Kara

Aunt Tina said...

So glad to hear good news. I know your heart was singing. We continue our prayers for Abby and all of you. Take care and try to get some rest. Hugs and kisses to you all.

Nanna Nette said...

It is wonderful to hear Abby had such a great day!! Our prayers continue, God is listening. Hopefully we will see you tomorrow if the weather cooperates this time. Let us know if you think of anything else we need to bring.

aunt carmela said...

I enjoyed our short visit. Alexis is such a good baby. I wish I could have seen Abby come down. It brings tears to my eyes now. I am glad I got to kiss her little head, too.

See you soon,
Aunt Carmela

Daria said...

I am in (happy) tears reading this. I am so glad that Abby is feeling better. She is going to beat this and do many, many more chicken dances for Alexis. I am continuing to pray for her, as well as for you, Leonard and Alexis. *Hugs*.

Mary said...

Glad yesterday was such a great day!!!

Tamara said...

That brought happy tears to my eyes! I'm so glad she had a good day and that she was able to visit with Alexis. Prayers continue to come your way!! I hope that there are many more great days in your future.

Dawn Pickett said...

Katie I am so happy to hear Abby has been eating and dancing again!! Prayers are truly being answered daily...and I continue to pray that she continues down the this path to a full recovery!! Lots of hugs are coming your way!!

Tails of a Working Mom said...

What an amazing little girl! I am glad that you had a good day. I will pray that they continue to go well and get even better.

Jessica L said...

This is one of the best things I've read in a long time. I can't imagine how much joy this brought you. Continued prayers for healing and strength.

Stephanie said...

You all have just brightened my Monday! Tears and all :o). Keep the good news coming. Lots of love and hugs!!

Anonymous said...

Happiness! What a fantastic feeling. I couldn't help but smile myself when reading about Abby's great day.

Ramona said...

Elated to hear Abby was doing the chicken dance and kissing Alexis - what a sight it all must have been. So great, Katie.

You remain in my prayers and thoughts.

The Strawberry Mallard said...

Oh my what wonderful news..I am here via Lori Harper and wanted you to know that we are placing Abby on our prayer chain.....what a wonderful little girl......how proud you must be of this amazing and brave child.....
We have offered many prayers to saint Peregrine and will continue to pray for you all.
Remember to breathe....Nancy