Wednesday, February 9, 2011

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Well, after the great afternoon on Sunday, things have gone downhill. Maybe it's because the doctor mentioned that we may be able to leave the hospital Friday. Abby has once again been pretty fussy. She also started having trouble eating on Monday. She would cough any time she tried to eat and we could see a white film on the back of her throat. The doctors thought it was just a thickening of the mucous membrane and an increase in drainage that was causing the coughing.

Then yesterday, we saw it. It's hard to describe - it looked like a chewed up piece of food stuck in the back of her throat. We had five doctors look at it and the conclusion was that it's tumor that had pushed its way through the area where she had her tonsil removed. We were scheduled for emergency surgery today because they were very worried about her airway. Thankfully, today's snow caused many people to reschedule their surgeries that were scheduled for today and allowed us to get into the operating before noon. The plan was to debulk the tumor, which means to remove anything they could see in her throat without having to make an incision. After seeing the pictures that the ENT took of her airway, it's a miracle she didn't choke to death or suffocate. Her airway was almost completely closed off. They have sent off this piece of tumor to pathology because, almost two weeks after her original biopsy, we are STILL waiting for an official diagnosis.

So, here we sit in PICU. Abby is on a ventilator. She's on large amounts of drugs to keep her sedated. She is quite the fighter and did not want to sleep. She kept shaking her head no long after she should have been out. She has a nurse that is dedicated solely to her and stays in the room at all times. She also had to have a blood transfusion because she lost a decent amount of blood during surgery. The hope is that she will be extubated and we will be back on the Hem/Onc floor tomorrow.

One upside to sedation is that I was able to comb her hair and brush her teeth without any complaint. I took advantage of the time I had to just comb her hair and play with it one last time before she loses it.

We can use more prayers, especially if the part of tumor in her throat is new growth. That would mean that it is still growing quickly and that the radiation and chemo might not be doing the trick.

And now for some pictures. These first two were taken three days before Abby ended up in the hospital.

19 comments:

Tamara said...

Many, many prayers coming your way. I really hope that this isn't new growth. You are all on my mind all the time.

Darla VanBibber said...

Lots of love and prayers still coming your way!! Know that im here for whatever I can help with! Hoping to make a trip back to you soon.

Lisa said...

I am praying for all of you. If there is anything at all I can please let me know.

Anonymous said...

Hope you get some answers soon and the medicine starts to do its job. Thinking of you and hoping Abby is vent free tomorrow.

Jennifer Giddens said...

What a sweet little princess. There are lots of prayers being said here in Texarkana for Little Abby.

Vicki said...

Your family is in my prayers daily. I didn't realize you're waiting on an official diagnosis, so I'll include that request specifically. Thank you for keeping us updated... it helps to make our prayers more focused on specific needs.

Mary D. said...

I am assembling a prayer team in your honor here in California. Please know that we're thinking of you and praying for all of you. May God give you all the strength, mentally and physically, to overcome all that's being thrown your way.

msh-2004 said...

praying for your whole family, and hoping Abby is able to be vent free soon. thanks for sharing the photos of your beautiful girls.

Nanna Nette said...

The pictures are so sweet! Thanks for posting and keeping us all updated. I will be praying that this is not new growth, and that the treatments will overpower the horrible tumor. Stay strong and remember how many prayer warriors are out here. We love you all!

The Hills said...

I am so sorry that this new obstacle is in the way. I am thankful they completed the surgery as soon as they did and the prayers are continuing to come from here as well.
Our hearts go out to you and your family.
-With Love-
Bethany

Jen said...

I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you and praying. I know Abby is a tough little girl. I'm sending you a big hug and wish it was in person. Love and prayers to you.

Mere said...

Abby is so so beautiful. We are praying!!

Stephanie Eberwein said...

Keeping you always in my prayers and hoping you have answers soon. I will definetly say an extra prayer that it is not new growth. The pictures are precious of both your beautiful girls. Thanks for keeping us updated and sharing those precious pictures with us. Thinking of you always and sending prayers your way everyday, Stephanie.

Unknown said...

Katie, I am so sorry you've hit a setback. I hope you get good answers quickly and it turns out the tumor in her throat is part of the old one. Thinking of you and your family!!!!!!

Raquel Rosenbalm said...

Lots of prayers being sent your way.
I hope everything gets better!

Ramona said...

Sending prayers, hope and love. Hang in there.

Pat said...

Dear Hanway family,
I know you are receiving all kinds of advise, suggestions, etc. and I don't normally do this, but I told a friend about Abby and he sent me this info:
"I saw that note about little Abby. Please look into Dr. Stanislaw Burzynski and The Burzynski Clinic in Houston for her. This Doctor has had groundbreaking success with brain tumors esp. in children. check out: www.burzynskiclinic.com Dr. Burzynski is credited in saving many, many lives since he discovered "his cure" long ago at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. This includes my brother Rafael's brother-in-law Schad Kolar who was dying of a rare liver cancer and written off for dead by M.D. Anderson. That was over 5 years ago and Schad is now cancer free! I refer all cancer patients to The Burznyski Clinic. There is a documentary that is available which gives the history of Dr. Burzynski and his treatment. check it out at www.burzynskimovie.com He is also written up in Suzanne Somers' book KNOCKOUT which highlights four doctors who are curing cancer today in our country. Dr. B has been the answer to countless prayers and may also be for precious Abby. Peace be with you,'
Follow God's lead and if He doesn't impress you to research this, it's ok. Just know that you have many prayers going up for Abby and for your whole family! Love in Christ, Pat, A Remade Life

Natalie Gosdin said...

Prayers your way each day. We pray that you all will continue to be strong in your faith as you have already shown and that God will provide a miracle for your sweet daughter. He is so good at that!

The Strawberry Mallard said...

Many prayers are coming your way...our prayer group will be remembering her tonight and truly praying with all our might!
Hugz, Nancy and family