Saturday, March 12, 2011

Another Setback, Another Surgery

Abby is currently in PICU after having surgery to give her a tracheostomy. We were hoping that this would never happen, but unfortunately it has. On Tuesday, the anesthesiologist at radiation had trouble intubating Abby. He felt that the tumor had grown overnight. We met with the ENT the next day and he agreed that a tracheostomy was probably needed. Her airway was not compromised, but the problem comes when intubation is needed because of the tumor's size and location. Surgery was scheduled for Friday morning.

She did well in surgery. After looking at the tumor, the ENT actually thought that the tumor was smaller than it was during her debulking, but that it may have shifted locations slightly. This would be good news if it means that the tumor isn't growing.

The tracheostomy is going to be a huge life change. We won't be able to leave Abby with anyone who is not experienced in tracheostomy care. There is an entire checklist of things in which we must be proficient before leaving the hospital such as suctioning, changing the trach tube, trach modified CPR and general trach care. There is a huge bag of things that must be with us at all times. Right now, I feel like I won't be able to sleep at all while she has this.

Thankfully, Abby will be able to have a special valve on the trach that will allow her to talk. I don't know what I would have done if she couldn't talk at all the entire time she had the trach. She will also be able to eat and drink normally.

The doctors keep emphasizing that the trach is not permanent, but that she will have it until she has surgery to remove her tumor.

We are looking at about a week-long hospital stay in the PICU, which is a very stressful place. We are hoping that this will be her last non-routine hospitalization for awhile. Radiation has been suspended from last Tuesday until probably next Wednesday, so we will hopefully complete radiation the week after that.

13 comments:

Vicki said...

Praying for your family as you overcome each challenge placed before you...

Judy Dailey said...

We are praying for your family!

ShirleyC said...

Praying for you and your sweet little girl.

Unknown said...

Praying that all will go well and the tube will be gone soon.

Nanna Nette said...

You guys have been through so much. I wish there was something I could do to make it better. All I know to do is pray. There is power in prayer and I continue to pray. If you think of something I can do to help, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you all. Hoping this is just a short setback.

The Hills said...

I can not imagine. Praying for you all.

Unknown said...

Take comfort in the fact that it is not permanent. She will be fine. Once you know what you are doing, you will relax... a little. You might even think you want to change careers to nursing!

Pat Gill said...

Abby and your whole family are in my prayers! I mention Abby to everyone I can---her name is being lifted up to God by many voices!! God's love to you all, Pat-A Remade Life

lovelifeinthesouth said...

Praying hard for your family. I Hope the radiation can start again soon.

Ramona said...

Where should I send the supersized jug of vodka? All kidding aside, dealing wih the trach will be old hat soon, and hopefully soon after that, she won't need it anymore. Hang in there.

The Strawberry Mallard said...

Remember to breath....and we will take care of the praying for you all!
Hugs, Nancy

Stephanie Eberwein said...

I am so sorry to hear about the set back. As always I will keep all of you in my prayers. Abby is a very strong little girl and know she will pull thru all of this in time. Prayers always, Steph