Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I have PUPPP

I ended up at the hospital on Sunday with rash that pretty much looks and feels like full body poison ivy. It started Friday with a small patch and by Sunday it was covering everything but my face and back. This includes my palms and soles of my feet. It turns out I have something called PUPPP, which stands for Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy.

Luckily my ob was the one on-call at the hospital, so I was able to see her. At the hospital, they gave me 2 doses of IV benadryl, though it didn't help much. I am also on steroids and whatever relief I can get from creams. So far, ice packs and cool baths help the most.

The doctor told me to try and wait until she gets back from vacation, then there's a good chance we'll induce then My boss sent me home for the rest of the week because I look so bad. Because of the blisters on my hands and feet, it is difficult and painful to walk and drive. I'm pretty much completely useless - can't do dishes, laundry, clean or anything.

Warning: If you have a weak stomach, you might not want to look at these pictures.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Katie! I once had an allergic reaction to some medicine and broke out in a full body itchy rash, so I know what it is like! Luckily I didn't have it on my palms or soles of my feet. I will be praying for you...hang in there!

--Misty