Wednesday, June 18, 2008

34 Week Appointment

This week's appointment was pretty long. We were at the doctor's office for about two hours, an hour of which was waiting, I would guess.

We started off with an ultrasound to measure her growth. Her heart rate was 154 bpm and you were able to see her breathing. Based on all the measurements, they estimate her weight to be 5 lbs, 6 oz. That is bigger than Christopher and April. Everything looked good and she is at the 50th percentile for her size, which is good. She definitely didn't move around as much as the last ultrasound, but the technician said it was because she was starting to run out of room. She showed her girl parts right at the beginning again.
Profile of her face.

Spine, neck, and a bit of the head.


Next was a new part of the appointment - the Non-Stress Test (NST). For the NST, a monitor was placed on my belly so that her heart rate could be tracked. I laid there for half an hour or so just listening to her heartbeat, which was really nice. I could have easily fallen asleep, especially after they dimmed the lights. The purpose of the NST, I believe, is to make sure she is still tolerating everything ok. Her heart rate is supposed to increase every time she moves, which it definitely did. The doctor said here results looked perfect. I will be having one of these every week until I deliver her.

The final part was the actual doctor appointment. All she really did was measure my belly and go over the results of the ultrasound and NST. She also discussed my blood sugars. She said I was the star pupil, and that it shows in both my sugars and in the fact that I haven't gained any weight for the past 4-5 weeks. Unfortunately, some of my sugars and still high even after sticking to the diet, so she upped my glyburide to include a dose at breakfast.

At my appointment next week, I will do another NST and get my fluid levels checked. I believe that is done by ultrasound, but I'm not sure.

No comments: