Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Confession

I've been keeping a secret for the last two weeks. I didn't want to tell anyone while we were at home because I didn't want it to be a big deal. I failed my three hour glucose test and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I am checking my blood sugar four times a day. Last Thursday I met with the dietitian to tell me what kinds of foods I can eat and how many carbs I can have at each meal. I have until next Tuesday to see if I can improve my sugar levels on my own. If not, then I may be placed on medicine. Even with the trip home, I didn't gain any weight because I was still trying to reduce my carbs.

So far, the only good thing about having gestational diabetes is that I get extra ultrasounds to check her growth. I will probably have one every 3-4 weeks until she is born. At the u/s this morning, it showed that she weighed 4 lbs, 3 oz. Based on all the measurements, she is only about 3 days ahead of schedule, which is good. She was sucking her thumb and sticking her tongue out during the exam. Her heart rate was excellent and she was breathing. As soon as the put the ultrasound wand on my belly, she started kicking it like crazy and continued almost the entire time. It was really funny. They confirmed again that she's a girl and she's in the head down position, which is good.

They didn't give me any pictures, but I did get a video, so I tried to take pictures of the tv screen. They didn't turn out very well and I can't remember what all of them were supposed to be.
Sucking her thumb.

Top of the head.

Heartbeat - 150 bpm

Spine

Leg

No comments: