Friday, July 27, 2007

D&C

I am back from my D&C. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting. We arrived at the surgery center around 6am, then waited a few minutes because they didn't open until 6:30. We were able to go in around 6:15 and finish filling out all my paperwork.

Around 7, they took me back to change into my gown. Thankfully they let Leonard come back with me after a few minutes because I was a mess. The nurse told him that I was upset and she didn't know why. If you were about to have your baby scraped out from inside of you, you'd be a little upset too.

The nurses were very nice and let me have a private room while they put in my IV and had a final consultation with the doctor. I would have to say that the worst part of this was trying to get an IV in. My veins are small, so they didn't want to numb the area first because that sometimes makes the vein collapse. I told them to go ahead, which was a mistake. It was very painful. They were digging around in my hand for what seemed like an eternity and still didn't get the needle in the vein. When they tried on my other hand, I made sure they numbed it and it made a world of difference. I said goodbye to Leonard and my mom, then they wheeled me off.

The next thing I really remember is waking up in the recovery room, very thirsty, and in a small amount of pain. They gave me some Vicodin and some Sprite, which worked wonders. I know the doctor came in, but I don't remember it. After about an hour of sitting up in the recovery room, we were out the door.

So far, I have had very little bleeding. I only took one pain pill, and I didn't need it. It actually is a relief to have everything over with. I think the waiting was almost the worst part of it. I still wish that they had done a second ultrasound to make sure the first one wasn't bad. Part of me is still afraid that our baby was still alive.

I go back for a follow-up on the 9th. I'm not sure if they were going to do any testing on the baby. It would have been nice to find out what actually happened to give us some closure.

No comments: